Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alison, Day 34: Sour

Today, February 3, 2009, Denny's offered FREE breakfast meals (their signature Grand Slam) to all citizens of the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada between the hours of 6AM and 2 PM.

My sister and I arrived at the closest Denny's somewhere around 10:45 to a line of people longer than some lines I've seen for amusement park rides.

But despite the long line and over crowded parking lot, we were sitting at a table, waited on, and finished with our [FREE] meal before noon.

Not only was the food delicious and well worth the wait, but we made friends with some other patrons while we were waiting in line. The Longs were a pair of older lovebirds who drove from the Dunnellon area to SR 40 for the free breakfast.

I don't think I met a single un-cordial person during the entire experience. And, because of the popularity of the gimmick, the tables were arranged as close as you could imagine. I could have rested my elbows on the tables on either side of us, but both parties were more than friendly and happy to have the free meal.

I'm still unclear why Denny's gave away free breakfast, but they did. And I'm glad of it. There are millions of people out of work (thank God, not me.) or low on money that cannot possibly pass up a free meal. And today, those people had the opportunity to eat for free. Regardless of the reason, the generosity of Denny's' all over the country (and Canada and Puerto Rico) today warm my heart (and filled my belly).

No comments:

Post a Comment